4/14/19

Video of Brenda Evak Speaking: The Inupiak Woman Who Spoke Up at the Airport in Nome Alaska to Governor Dunleavy When He Came for His BS Townhall Meeting Paid for by the Koch Brothers. I've Waited Since 2005 to Hear What She Had to Say.

Came across this video of Brenda Evak while doing research for another post. The power of Ms. Evak's words shut me down. I feel this video needs it's own post just due to the amazing power of what she said. It will be in the other post too. I have waited since 2005 to hear the Native women from the Norton Sound Region of Alaska speak up about what happened to their people. I know from personal experience no one was listening, very intentionally. No one listened to me when I wrote about what I saw and experienced there. The Native people in that region were traumatized over a long period of time. There are a large number of rapes and other violence against the women there, but little law enforcement, what few police in the region were corrupt, abusive and dysfunctional. The one female cop who went to Nome was run out by the good old boys at the cop shop.

Just before I went to Nome a cop raped and murdered a young woman, Sonya Ivanoff. In Nome many Native people believed it was the other cop who was on that night, there were only two. The behavior of stopping to talk to girls and pick them up continued after the murder. I told the girls I knew to just keep walking and stay away from them.

When working at Norton Sound Regional Hospital I was at odds with the police due to them not arresting the men who raped some of the women in Nome and the surrounding villages. There was a pervasive attitude there among the mostly white people who worked at the hospital owned by a Native corporation and funded by IHS that it just did not matter these women were raped and somehow had the twisted thinking that it was a part of their culture. I was outraged. No it is a part of the trauma they have suffered over decades, the secondary illnesses from the trauma such as substance abuse contributed to the violence. The labeling, misdiagnosing of women and girls who have PTSD with personality disorders that so often happens with traumatized females is used to silence the voices of the victims of oppression by discrediting them (weaponized clinics of incompetence). This is generational trauma that was done for profit of corporations and so politicians could get campaign donations to stay in power.

The Native peoples of Alaska are tied to the land, but it was taken and their tribes were made into corporations to preserve the ability of corporations to get at the oil and minerals. They were promised health care for this, but were given a crappy health care system, during the time I was in Nome it was very dangerous. No government agency responded to my whistleblowing about that. Instead I got my career destroyed, my psychological health compromised through trauma to discredit me and then was ganstalked, it continues. The behavioral health system that could have helped them deal with the trauma was so dysfunctional it had to be taken over a few years ago.

Keep speaking up Brenda Evak, keep up the activism, you are an shining example to others. 💓💪
 Can't stop the tears of happiness.


No comments: